Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Gym by Night part 5(Finally!)




Sabrina helped me learn front and back walkovers, handstands, back handsprings, and even a front flip. (I never did land it!) Rhythmic gymnasts have to be flexible.
“Never do gymnastics if you don’t have an experienced gymnast of coach with you, because you can get seriously injured.”
“Ok!”
“Try getting up on the beam,” Sabrina said, “You’ll be really wobbly at first, but once you get used to it, it’s easy.” I climbed onto the beam and tried to stand up. “Whoa!” I said, as I lost my balance and nearly fell off. I looked around the gym. I saw Alex laughing at me. She tapped Ana on the shoulder and pointed at me. I looked away.  Then I saw it: two girls carrying hoops and ribbons walked through the gym and into a door that said: “SMALL GYM”. “What’s in there?”, I asked.
“Oh, that’s just where the Rhythmic gymnasts practice.”
“Can I go in there for a sec?”
“Sure.”
I trotted over to the SMALL GYM door and went in. I saw Rhythmic gymnasts practicing everywhere I looked. A short lady with a tight bun sauntered over to me.
“What do you want?”
“Ummm….. I-err- I want to learn Rhythmic Gymnastics.”
“Any prior experience?”
“Yes I can do lots of skills, and my sister Alex is a Level 10 Artistic Gymnast.”
“Is it all right with your Mother?”
“Yes she told me to come here with Alex and meet the Coach.” The woman remained motionless. I stood, waiting for her to go get the Coach. I studied her. She had thick salt-and-pepper colored hair, dark brown eyes, and a firm chin. She was wearing a long black skirt and blazer. Just then, a girl in a sparkly yellow leo bounded up to us. She looked out of breath from the energetic training. “Hey,” She said to the lady, “Can you come help me for a minute?”
“Yes. I’ll be right over.” She turned to me. “I’m Coach Ksenia. I was all-around Gold medalist at the 1979 Worlds for Russia.”
“You-you-you’re the Coach?” I had been picturing someone young and energetic, with a colorful Warm-up Suit.
“Yes! Now I have to go help Nicole.” And with that, she turned on her heel and left. And then I remembered: This was Wednesday. I looked at the clock above the door. It was almost 9:30. Ana had told me to be there at 9:15. YIKES! I quickly retreated back to the main gym. Ana was still working in the huge beam area, so I was safe. I passed the time by strolling around the artistic gymnastics section.
Suddenly, a hand grabbed my shoulder.
“Caroline Eugenie!” I jumped. It was only Alex, trying to scare me.
“Alexandria Beatrice! What is it?, I exclaimed.
But my twin had vanished. I decided to try out some of the skills Sabrina had taught me on the floor mat. To me, the coolest looking thing was the back handspring. I jumped back, and TA DA! I did it! I tried several more times, doing better each time. I tried again. I jumped back, landed on my arms, and CRACK! I found myself sprawled on the mat, holding my wrist.
“OWWWW…….” Coach Chip came running over with Ana and Alex close behind.
I heard people chattering excitedly above me.
Coach Chip: “Do any of you know who this is?”
Alex: “She’s my sister and I think she just started gymnastics.”
Ana: “Kerry, are you all right?”
I felt myself being carried out by 2 men. I heard Alex talking on the phone to my mom (presumably)
Then all went black.

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the next part!! love the blog design!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 6? You've got me hooked on this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get it up as soon as I can, but I will be out of town for the weekend and I'm leaving tomorrow. I am working on a new story though.....

      Louisa

      Delete
  3. New story! You still haven't finished Gym By Night. I hope by new story you mean part six?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm still working on this one. I'm really sorry I haven't posted it yet. I, like Mary, am really busy:( But yeah, I am working on The Gym by Night, and I started a new one. So yeaaahhhhhh.....

      Louisa

      Delete