Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Book review

Hey guys!! What's up? I haven't posted in quite a while. But since my new school is starting soon I will probably be writing some poems about that, not to mention more book reviews. Anyway, I was trying to think of something to post and my friend Rachel suggested that I write a book review. I decided to make comments on Emma, another Jane Austen favorite. I actually read this last fall, but I haven't been reading much new stuff lately, and this is definitely one of my all-time favorites. So here you go.

The scene is set where Emma, a 21 year old unmarried woman who is determined to be a matchmaker, is at her Governess, Miss Taylor's,  wedding. Her mother died years before and Emma and her older sister were left with Miss Taylor. After the wedding she is reflecting with her father about how much her Governess will be missed. They are interupted with the arrival of Mr. Knightley, a longtime family friend. He is six years older than Emma and with the departure of Miss Taylor, sort of takes the place of Emma's counselor, so-to-speak. The book has many ups and downs such as when Emma meets Harriet, a seventeen year old orphan, and takes her under her wing to try to get her married. Harriet falls into many traps of men who she thinks she is in love with, but they turn out to disappoint her. In the end, they all lived happily ever after, but after quite a trial. This is written in a style that you have to get used to, but it is totally worth a shot! This is seriously one of the greatest books ever written. Read it!!!!


Louisa

P.S.
I will be starting Wives and Daughters soon by Elizabeth Gaskell, and I will probably do a review on that when I finish. TTYL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment