Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Perfect Poems Day 2

Good Morning!

Today I'm going to show you how to write a haiku. I know I've mentioned this before, but haiku and senryu(which is similar to haiku) are my all-time favorite kinds of poetry!

The 1st rule of haiku is that haiku generally has some reference to nature and a season word. A season word is a word that gives reference to a season. It doesn't have to be a direct season, like "autumn came", you can do that, but I personally think it's more interesting if you write something like" red leaves drop". The 2nd rule is that the 1st line has to have 5 syllables, the 2nd line 7, the 3rd line 5. I think they're really interesting if you use them to capture a feeling, or image. So...

1. Decide on a subject
     This can be anything in nature that you think is interesting, but make sure it's in nature or it's not a haiku!

2. Think of a creative line about your subject and make sure it has 5 syllables. 
    Procede as so with the 2nd line being 7 syllables and the 3rd line, 5.

3. Read through it one more time and make sure you like it.
     IF you don't, rewrite it. Now Give Yourself a pat on the back. You've written a Haiku!
         
                                                    I shiver. 26 degrees.
                                                    Perfect freezing cold weather 
                                                    on this winter's day
                                                                              -Louisa(I live in TX, after all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment